Information for AS Representatives (print PDF)
Governance Information for ASGCC Representatives
What is my role as an AS representative on a committee?
• You are a member with full voting rights. So speak up, ask questions, vote.
• Unable to attend a meeting? Assign a proxy, your proxy will have full voting rights. Your proxy cannot be a member of the committee for which you need a proxy for.
• Chairs and/or the minutes recorders will call for a meeting. In other words: just because the Blue List states “3rd Wednesday” of the month does not necessarily mean that committee is meeting.
What is the appointment process?
Each semester the Governance office requests appointments of AS representatives to Governance Committees, a spreadsheet is provided to the AS VP of Administration.
The AS body appoints reps to Governance Committees.
Once appointed it is recommended to send the chair an email and “cc” the minutes recorder (if applicable). This is to introduce yourself and to ensure the chair has your email. The Blue List provides an email link to the chairperson, links are blue – you may have to look up the minutes recorder’s email.
AS VP of Administration fills in the spreadsheet and forwards it to the governance office.
Governance office emails each of the committee chairs and minutes recorders the spreadsheet with an important notice which states:
“To assure AS reps are notified of meeting please 1) email the AS VP of Administration, 2) obtain the student’s email and 3) hard copies may be placed in the ASGCC mailbox.”
What is the Blue List?
The Blue List provides general information for each committee. It helps volunteers determine which committees may be of interest to them and to determine which committees best fit their schedule.
The meeting time listed is a guide, information posted can be confirmed by contacting the chair of the committee.
Chairs are responsible for notifying the Governance office of any changes to the information listed such as membership or meeting times.
The chair or minutes recorder will notify members of the committee when a meeting is scheduled. In other words “3rd Wednesday, 2:00pm, AD 121” may not necessarily mean there is a meeting.
What resources may help me understand Governance at GCC?
Information links on the Governance webpage:
• Blue List – committee mission statement, meeting time, location, membership, link to chair’s email
• Best Practices – guidelines for committee members, committee chairpersons, resource members
• Committees – this is where minutes of governance committees can be accessed; the hierarchy can also be found here
• Governance Document – the “constitution” of governance here at GCC
• Governance Update – the report includes all motions reported by governance committees
Governance Quick Links
The Governance webpage this page gives you access to minutes of the various governance committees, as well as other resources pertaining to governance.
This list of governance committees including meeting times and locations, voting members, non-voting members, and committee mission statements.
Administrative Regulation 2511, Governance Document – Rules for governance practices at GCC.
Monthly report of actions taken by all governance committees as reported and approved by the Campus Executive Committee.
Governance Office contact email@example.com